Sociological Insight: An Introduction to Non-Obvious Sociology by Randall Collins.
It’s short, it’s awesome, and I want to discuss it with people. Topics in the first fifty pages include:
1. How societies are founded on non-rational principles.
2. Why trust makes capitalism successful.
3. Why people form groups and why there’s conflict between groups.
4. The correlation between a society’s religious beliefs and its political structure (this fucking blew my mind).
5. How conversation functions as a modern form of religion.
6. Why the “masks” metaphor makes more sense than the “true self” metaphor.